Monday, March 26, 2012

Modern Fantasy Reflection 1

Collins, S. The Hunger Games. (2008). New York. Scholastic Press


Modern fantasy is my favorite genre of literature. My favorite all-time series, Harry Potter, has come from this genre. As a 5th grade reading teacher, this genre is very popular among my students this year, as well. At the beginning of the year, I recommended Harry Potter to my students and many of them had read all 7 prior to Christmas break. This Spring, my students have thrust The Hunger Games upon me and I have absolutely loved them.  I am actually waiting for one of them to bring me the second book to borrow! Being able to connect with my reading class in this way has made our classroom discussions very beneficial.


The Hunger Games is a story about a country who sends one boy and one girl into a battle of survival, literally. Katniss, the girl chosen from District 12, is thrust into the Hunger Games in a rather unusual way. From the very start of the games, Katniss begins to win over the entire country with a "made-up" love story between herself and the young man chosen from District 12, Peeta. The two are separated for most of the book leaving the reader to wonder whether or not this connection between the two contestants from district 12 is real. Just when it seems that either, Katniss or Peeta must die in order for the games to end, the Capitol throws in a new twist. Is it possible for both Katniss and Peeta to survive? They think so but the Capitol has other ideas.


This fantasy novel tells of a strange situation in which the main character is thrown into a game developed by a government in order to punish it's citizens for a previous attempt of revolt. Collins also uses a bit of mystery fantasy leaving the reader sitting at the edge of their seat waiting to see what will happen to Katniss, Peeta, and the others. This is especially true with the cliffhanger the author leaves you with at the end of the story which can only mean one thing... go read the second!

No comments:

Post a Comment